Custom Search

Monday, January 31, 2011

My Full Sail Response to the book "Rich Dad Poor Dad..."

@ All,



I think the first real question we have to ask ourselves when we read the book... are we "Rich" or are we "Poor"? And that's a tough question to face. Especially, when many of us in the country are unemployed or are barley making ends meet. Not to mention, the middle-class is disappearing and our ability to save into wealth is being sucked away by low banking interest rates, ten years of bad wall street deals, and health care (Para-phrased from Moore's Capitalism a Love Story).

@ James.

LOL, I think your totally right, I might have answered two of the questions. It's just LAP3 answer and the entire book was what I responded to and the book was a though emotional ride when I read on the train to Colorado. I try to be a polite open person because the business people I admire are just that. In as sense, I'm applying the concept THE NEED For HEROS (on page 182).

I'm talking to Homer tomorrow so I guess I'm clear up that was my response, not my set of answers.

For LAP3 I did address...

2. How is wealth measured? How is financial independence achieved?

With the personal examples of venture capitalists and entrepreneurs I have met. Which I'm guessing statistically speaking most people in this class have had similar encounters. However, when I officially address the question, I will make more references to the book. What I was addressing from the book were themes related to...

How do we address the Rich?


Do we just categorize them as having money?


Do we treat them differently?


And do they treat us differently?



Combining the book with my life, I will honestly tell you, that there are so many opportunities to gain money, or learn about money when people are willing to share. And their enough who do want to share. The book states that his friends who are not rich never ask him how he did it. As if, they have a secret shame. And, I have been able to ask that question many times, "how". With different results.


And what I wanted to share and open to discuss was dealing with the "rich" people with money willing to talk to you (i.e. potential investors, good free advice, or a potential friend) in a more social sense. In other words, breaking down the internal classicism of the ego, to potential classless reality of capitalism and our society. For example, at the work place when I have worked for people who were paid more because they were a supervisor, I couldn't really socialize on an equal playing field, where as I'm in a different position when I met a manager at a party who I do not work for.

If you remember the class with the "48 Rules of Power" text, understanding relationships this is key to negotiating who you are.


In regards to LAP3 I also addressed...

3. What would you consider the most valuable lesson from this book? How will you change your financial activities?

The idea that the rich give money and expect a return, similar to how native Americans gave blankets and asked for the blankets later. The settlers did not understand that the Native Americans were just lending them the blankets and were mad when the Native Americans asked for them back (from pages 178 and 179 of Rich Dad Poor Dad).

The lesson I learned from this was that many of the Rich are "Indian Givers", in these sense, they want a return, but they are those willing to help others become rich as long as they get their money back. This is true. However, in this analogy, people may not respect the lender, and become mad when the investors ask for their return, and vice verse.

Also in this analogy, The Native Americans should not have just gotten a return, but also have gotten something beyond the blankets, something like positive PR that could have changed US History. This is also true, sometimes an investor will lend with no interest, if their is something they want they may not have a direct monetary value such as PR or good will. Thus, because I'm dealing with more positive PR than assets, I needed something like this analogy to tell me what I have, investors will be interested in. As a "poor" person trying to make the best out what I know and who I can connect with Step 7 of Getting Started from Rich Dad Poor Dad.


LOL, James, I think I know the problem is I read the whole book during winter break and Getting Started wasn't a real "reason".

Hmm, I guess I have responded to maybe one question... and responded to two students... my bad. I'll get more on topic with my third post.


Best_ Zon

No comments:

Post a Comment