Custom Search

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Apple Post 1984 Full Sail Dicussion Board

Prompt: “In looking back at the 1984 launch of the Macintosh computer, do you think that the strategic visioning and planning of Apple, Inc. has been effective overall and why?”


I think during my whole time at Full Sail I always go back to Guy Kawasaki’s concepts as a core. According to him Apple was and has been about making people’s lives easier.




From: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3xaeVXTSBg
Prompt: “Discuss at least three aspects of Product Management that exist at Apple, Inc.”



In this sense, years after 1984, Apple sold people on buying their products because they promoted a better way to live through their technologies. In this regard, the 1984 language of Macintosh was the idea of freeing computers from the cold clutches of IBM and corporate America. In 2003, when I was attending Fresno Community College my computer science teacher explained how IBM thought that computers should not be easy, but work. When Macintosh revolutionized the marker with it GUI (Graphic Interface System), IBM responded by paying Bill Gates who had reversed engineered windows (Burke, 1999).

Because of Apple’s personal computer at home movement, IBM decided to give a lot of technology and licenses away that established the PC and the open market for development. Because of what IBM did, Apple was hurting form the late 8o's to Early 90's. Apple then made a strategic alliance with grocery stores and public schools to get their computer to younger customer. When I was growing up, I didn't understand how can drive could lead my school to have a new computer lab with "Apple II E" computers until after I attended that class in 2003. This strategic partnering did two things: One, gave the a huge tax write off, and two just like the cigarette company access to a youth market. Add college kids, Microsoft giving them the I-pod technology to avoid an anti-trust lawsuit, and now we are in post 1984 and Macintosh being the protector of freedom when it comes to creativity, lol. Sigh, I personally chose a degree in teaching because in 2003 I say the effects of the 90’s bubble pop in California as what freaked out. Oh, only if I stayed in computer science.

Prompt: “Discuss what you think might be an effective strategy going forward for Apple, Inc.”



In this post 1984 world where we have accepted out fate as a society, I digress and have to say I am neither a “Mac” or “PC” guy.
I’m a dude who just wants the freedom to produce and distribute what I want on the Internet. Thus, I contend that Apple is no longer the fighter of freedom, but has become the very “IBM” they branded to fight in 1984. Their products are no longer about innovating design but limiting it. For example, Google’s Android is beating the I-phone because Google is using the power of "free". The power of free is simply; if people are given freedom to explore technology innovation happens. However, Apple is more about control and protection of properties. Of course, giving creators of content such as music makers some protection from piracy is great, but the power of free is like water to stone. Meaning, no matter how hard Apple try’s to control certain things, it will be warn down. If Mac wants a better future, it has to remember what that hammer that destroyed the screen means… break the constructs that conflict with creative freedom.




Sarno, David (2010, Aug, 2nd) The business and culture of our digital lives,
from the L.A. Times Retrieved From: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/08/google-android-apple-iphone-sales-mobile-att-verizon.html

Burke, M. (1999) Pirates of Silicon Valley Retrieved From: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0168122/

No comments:

Post a Comment